From bean to bar, manufacturing chocolate is complex and fascinating. Farmers, importers, processers and chocolatiers (those trained in the art of creating fine chocolate), all work together in a process that spans continents and a vast range of expertise.
The work is hard, exacting – if you want a superior luxury chocolate – and rigorous, but we hear at Mokaya wouldn't have it any other way.
We love being Malaysia's only fine chocolate producer. It's our dream come true! Let us share a little bit with you about what goes into each bar of Mokaya:
How we make Mokaya
- Find the world’s most extraordinary beans – no matter where that takes you.
- Harvest cocoa beans from the fertile, rich ground.
- Remove extraneous material. Use only the most precious part of the bean.
- Roast the bean, depending on what you need out of it. (In this case, temperature, time and degree of moisture dials are set to “exceptional.”)
- Winnow, which means – remove the shells so you have just the cocoa nibs.
- Alkalise – make magic to develop flavour and colour.
- Mill to create cocoa liquor (cocoa particles in cocoa butter.) Set dial to “unmatched.”
- Muse. Think. Create. Determine which beans go best together and in what proportions so you have only the best luxury chocolate.
- Add high grade sugar, milk, emulsifying agents and cocoa butter in the precise proportions required for unparalleled quality.
- Refine, roll, refine. Put the chocolate through rollers until it is silky smooth.
- Conch, that is kneed or smooth. Speed, duration and temperature impact flavours. Set dials to “like no other.”
- Temper until perfect. Heat, cool and reheat.
- Taste, grin ear to ear. If mixture does not achieve ear to ear grin, then start process all over again.
- Pour into moulds and cool.
- Wrap in appropriate superhero labeling.
- Distribute throughout Malaysia, and to you, with pure joy.
We invest our hearts, creativity and true love for real chocolate into each bar of Mokaya.